Saturday, September 12, 2009

How to use math to choose a wife.

The article "How to use Math to Choose a Wife" makes me think of the movie "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." A pertinent explanation for the movie, as given by Wikipedia, is this:

"In the [movie], a group of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings demand to learn the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything from the supercomputer, Deep Thought, specially built for this purpose. It takes Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check the answer, which turns out to be 42. Unfortunately, The Ultimate Question itself is unknown."

The hilarious clip is below:





In questioning the unknowable, I thought of the movie "Serendipity" and how the (deeply romantic, yet impersonal) universe carries out its will by means of the deliberate use and application of random chance. The tool of choice for this romantically inclined, yet neglectful overseer is serendipity. Yes, it is the applied gift of serendipity, or chance, that binds the hearts of young lovers together! So go on! Trust in the firmament and find your future mate through its mother-like scheming to hook you up with some stranger. Chance its mathematical form when you don't even know the question that will lead you to the equation that supposedly explains your lack of ability to attract a significant other!

Ironically enough, though I laughed quite hard at that scene from the original movie when I first saw it in high school, I actually became grossly depressed. I thought the meaning of life was a wonderful romance with a beautiful woman; thing was, I was an incredible specimen of the perfect dork! Not having that woman in my life left a tickle in my brain that didn't go away. Yet, having a woman at that time would have simply masked the itch as I pretended to know what love was. So, my depression didn't depart for almost two years when I finally buried it by subverting it into passive-aggressiveness. I didn't know how to handle problems so I hid from them. Of course, I couldn't deal with my faults without understanding my true nature first. All I could do was cover them with another layer of lies.

It was impossible to know a solution to my lacking state. I failed to live up to every standard I set for myself so I dropped them lower, continuously. I couldn't find meaning in an impersonal universe, no matter what its gifts, knowing that I would ultimately die and return to the dust from whence I came. All this stemmed from a stupid movie, and a vague knowledge that there was more to life than the number 42!

Friends, don't put your life and happiness in the hands of something that is unknowable. I hope that the answer "42" makes you laugh...and then, like me, causes you to seriously consider what the most important question you could ever ask would be. That question will reveal your heart and what you put your hope in. If that question does not ultimately satisfy you then you need to know that there is One who will teach you the answer to The Only Worthy Ultimate Question: How may I enjoy my Savior forever? The answer? Trust in God, ask for forgiveness of your sins, and proclaim His glory throughout all creation! You will be clothed in His righteousness forever and never die and it will be a work that He works in you because He loves you specifically!

No comments:

Post a Comment