Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The search for Chelsea King.


A remarkable woman from my church wrote a very heartfelt message about the community that has mobilized to help the family of Chelsea King. It's something you need to read to see a semblance of joy through the sadness of Chelsea's death.

Hello everybody,

Clearly this family is on everyone's hearts. The news today has devastated a family and a community. I went to the prayer service at RB Community Presbyterian Church last night... it was very nice. Overall, seemed to be a real comfort to those who attended. My eyes (and heart) were drawn to the teens that were there, those who perhaps knew Chelsea personally. There were a lot of very, very sad hearts last night. Today, I'm sure, the grief is unbearable. Oh, Lord Jesus help us!

This morning, I received an invitation to go search for Chelsea... how could I not go? So I called in the "substitute" teachers (Arne and Margi), grabbed a water bottle, and headed to RB. The search effort was amazing... the volunteers were so organized! so kind! so grateful! so HOPEFUL! It really was an amazing display of support, sacrifice and love!

I don't have the exact quote memorized, but for those of you who have read Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven, he says somewhere in there that... this life here on earth is the closest thing that believers will experience of hell and the closest thing that non-believers will experience of heaven.

I feel like I was there today... experiencing hell and heaven... hell in the news of her body being found in Lake Hodges with all the awful thoughts that go along with the brutality of it AND HEAVEN in the kindness, goodness, and sacrificial love of these volunteers, most of whom were strangers to this family. Even the camaraderie that I experienced today with people that I just met (especially Julie and Lisa), unified for a common purpose, determined to help, was a taste of heaven. Despite the awful reason we were gathered together, we even had some laughter...

God is good that way... to give us joy in the midst of sorrow, to give us relief in the midst of heaviness, to give us glimpses of heaven in the face of hell.

I had suggestions from people that we could try to pray at the same time each day. While that certainly doesn't need to be the case, for anyone interested, I will plan to pray at 9am every morning for this family... Chelsea's mom and dad, her 8 year old brother, her extended family... and her friends.

God can and will cause good to come out of the evil.
LIGHT always pushes back darkness.
God's JUSTICE trumps man's inept justice...

My thoughts in the midst of a heavy heart,
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment