Friday, March 19, 2010

An ode to my grandpa.


My grandpa's grandchildren wrote down our favorite memories or thoughts to be spoken at the funeral service. These are those words:

Evan
"Every time I talked with Grandpa over the past few years, he would ask me two questions: 'How's my favorite red-headed Marine grandson?' and 'Do you have yourself a woman yet?' What had the greatest impact on me though was his relationship with his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Through all things, he desired to give me the hope he had in life and the eternal life he now has with Jesus through death. He knew what was important and I will miss him."

Arwen
"I know it wasn't until I got older that I really learned to appreciate what a hard-working, strong and loving man Grandpa was. At a young age, it was easy to interpret Grandpa's sternness as him just being mean! But now I know he was just holding us to high standards which he set for himself. He just wanted his grand kids to grow up to be decent, hard-working adults. He will always be one I look to in times of moral or physical crises."

Adam
"I will always remember Grandpa as someone very kind and generous. He always cared about and took great interest in his grandchildren. He was always willing to spend time with them and encourage them. He was always willing to spend time with me, whether hiking or learning about engines and wiring. I will miss him greatly."

Lee
"Grandpa taught me how to be a caring, loving man, and showed me the true meaning of love and devotion to your family. I thank God for giving us such a great and wonderful grandfather and for taking care of us all. We will all miss him but he will love in our hearts."

Matt
"I remember when Grandpa and Grandma were babysitting me. We were driving in the car and the window was rolled down slightly. My fingers were in the window crack when Grandpa rolled it up, catching my fingers. After disengaging my fingers, Grandpa felt so bad that he spent the day playing croquet with me and making me lunch. It showed me he cared about the little things and making things right."

Sarah
"Grandpa is someone everyone knew as a very generous man. He loved his family more than anything else, especially our loving grandma. I remember him telling me all the stories of when he first met her. He was very proud of his family. His legacy will live on in each and every one of us."

Zack
"I was a little kid when I was at Grandpa's house one day. he took me downstairs into his study where he kept all the model airplanes and trinkets he collected over the years. i had my eye on the small, camouflage plane for a long time and wanted to ask Grandpa for it, but was afraid to request it. Grandpa knew it was close to my heart though and offered it to me. I was so thankful for this gift because it showed Grandpa's loving and compassionate heart towards me."

Ryan
"Grandpa was always happy and very kind. He always said 'Keep up the good work' and he always listened and was interested. He was a great man and he loved God as much as he loved all of us."

No comments:

Post a Comment