Tuesday, June 29, 2010

In chains and liberated!

A friend wrote a letter about her son whose body is wasting away from a little-known disease called LEMS. She expressed a remarkably poignant thought that I wanted to share.

"It's so true that if we are to suffer well we must have good theology. Hard questions do arise, and we are compelled to press into the character of God and His purposes. However, in trying to gain that, I am reminded that God is not so much interested in changing our perspective on suffering as He is in changing us."
In part, this is my response motivated by a providential encounter with an extraordinary man:

"AMEN to that, sister! And yet, He is still deeply concerned about forming our understanding of suffering through the process of changing our hearts!

I wanted to share a story with you. I was sitting in front of the school today (as I am known to do) and a man with a walker emerged from the breezeway. I literally jumped out of my cart to ask of his business and also to offer my help if necessary. He was deeply scarred in many places and could barely shuffle along although his balance was good. He may have been near 40.

I introduced myself so he gave me his name of Ross. We shook hands as he launched into a spiel about how he had basically been a hedonist in his younger life and had gotten into a horrible, drunk accident that almost killed him. He gave many gory details of a well-memorized speech on himself and the statistics. It took years for physical therapy to get him back to being able to walk again, let alone speak.

He mentioned to me that he had been a prisoner trapped in his own body to which I responded by asking, "Are you still a prisoner in your own body?" He said that he was not and I (meaning to share the Lord with him) replied "Praise God!" His eyes lit up and we launched into a conversation about God's goodness and His amazing promises. I was thankful to hear that he was saved and had the promise of an end to his physical infirmities at the resurrection."

After sending the above letter back to my friend I was happy to recall some deep wisdom about the resurrection and the giving of good gifts to those who cannot repay them. Check it out:

Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

When one of those at the table with him heard this, he said to Jesus, "Blessed is the man who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God." ~Luke 14:12-15
Can you see? This is the gift that all of us who are imprisoned in these bodies of sin and death long for! We seek a release that can only be found in a loving God who invites us to Him when we are broken with nothing to bring but needy hands. His love for us is so great that He is overjoyed when we give him our chains in exchange for His riches!

No comments:

Post a Comment