Friday, January 15, 2010

The disaster in Haiti (a biblical understanding).


An amazing friend whom God has blessed me to have in my life asked me a question about the earthquake in Haiti and all the suffering that is taking place there. She does not know Christ and yet she desires to ask me about my faith and understanding of this world. She wants to examine, as best as possible, the lens through which I see my world. I believe that my view must be attractive to her in some regards...even if it is only to marvel at my thoughts as one would marvel at a circus freak.

Her question was stated more as a thought: "so about the earthquake. in haiti. my heart aches . . . . i'm curious what your thoughts are about it. about the suffering."

She left it at that.

My response to her was as follows: "

"Christianity does not promise a lack of suffering. However, it does explain why it exists and it offers a solution by bringing hope to a world that has none.

"God never says that His children will suffer less because they have faith in Him. He says that they will suffer just as His own Son suffered, but that suffering will produce the fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, self-control).

"God uses suffering to show us that this world is a shadow that is passing. He's not so much concerned with our bodies that suffer from lack of food or water so much as He is concerned about our souls that suffer from being separated from His love."

Her reply? A simple "I....don't....know...what to say."

So I gave her some words to pray to Jesus; words one would say to an intimate friend in asking them for truth and wisdom. I said that if she presents herself to God in humility then He will incline His ear to her and delight in her prayer. What other religion offers a God who would do that for messed up people like us?

She left me with profuse thanks, calling me a dear friend and stating that my words mean more to her than I will ever know. What a remarkable conversation with a friend! Jesus is so good! If you are reading this, please pray for her. I won't give her name but I am faithful that God holds it in the palm of His hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment