Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Senator Boxer vs. Doctor Evil

In light of one of my embarrassing state representatives (Barbara Boxer) I can't imagine the President humiliating a general for calling him "sir." Come to think of it, while in the Marines, if I had called an officer by their rank (such as Captain) I would have been corrected because it's customary for an enlisted man (or even a junior ranking officer) to call the officer one is addressing as "sir" or "ma'am." "Sir" and "ma'am" are words of courtesy and respect where as "Senator" is simply a word connotative of one's position. You should enjoy this YouTube video regardless of whether or not you agree with me (there is more to read after the video).




If I may take the liberty of expounding upon this point as to how a true public servant should act we can look to our Christ. Consider Philippians 2:5-11 for a moment:

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

So we have a God who humbled Himself by coming to enjoy our life in the flesh with us (by experiencing temptation, illness, injury, and ultimately death) so that He would have the pleasure of our fellowship through forgiveness which could ultimately be bought only by the shedding of His blood. How does He prove to us His desire for such fellowship? It is written in John 15:13-15:


13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

God, who is of a much higher estate than "Senator" Barbara Boxer, allows us to call on Him as our friend and never rubs His power in our face by demanding obeisance. God humbled Himself before us in accordance with His His nature to prove that, "...everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

No comments:

Post a Comment