Saturday, May 16, 2009

Protection of money or life?

I found the picture for my blog here: http://mediocracy.us/category/hypocrisy/

In a macabre display of worldly hypocrisy I watched the Brinks armored car pull up to the school today. Out came an armed security guard carrying his money bag inside while the armed driver kept a close watch. Apparently, they weren't told that our school is a "gun-free zone" as are all public school in California.

There I was in the front of the school with a badge clearly stating "security" on it and a small self-defense pepper sprayer on my hip. My jaw went slack for a moment as I realized the implications of what I was seeing. Here I was as a security guard at a school in charge of protecting hundreds of students and, though I am qualified to own a gun, I was not allowed, by law, to keep it on my person outside of the home. So why can someone in charge of hundreds of thousands of dollars in actual money pack heat to protect the greenbacks in his possession?

This small act proved to me that society, as a whole, believes that money is worth more than the people who eventually produce the capital to make it. We potentially sacrifice our future growth and prosperity by not adequately defending our children while we simultaneously protect something that is worth far less. Money's worth is found only in the strength of the government promise that backs it. A person has worth invested in them by others who sacrifice of themselves to build them up.

We should not have the expectation of making a sacrifice of death to uphold life especially when it is within our ability to provide safety. A few people wanting to burying their heads in the sand and calling a place "gun-free" does not a "gun-free" place make. It just means that those who have the guns and the desire to use them nefariously will detect no threat in bringing them into the gun-free zone. At that point, the badge on my arm will no longer mean "security" but instead "shoot me first." It is a sacrifice I will hopefully be willing to make if I am called to do so and, by God's grace, I will be allowed to defend the lives of those students who have been entrusted into my care.

I am grateful that at the end of the day I do not have to worry about such things as death. My God invested me with great worth that will never perish. It was granted to me by the incorruptible blood of Christ that washed away my sins. I have gained worth from the sacrifice of Christ and if I am able to sacrifice of myself to prove to others that they too have worth then I will be thankful for the opportunity. My hope is found in these words and I encourage you to read them carefully and meditate upon them:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls."

No comments:

Post a Comment