Monday, May 2, 2011

Current thoughts on a relationship

I'm on a dating site called "okCupid." It's pretty interesting but one aspect of it makes me chuckle. It's the ignorance of Christians, atheists, agnostics, whatever, when they state their belief and then write "but not too serious about it." How can you not be that serious about atheism? How can you be "slightly serious" about your Christianity? There are only two conclusions I can draw: 1) You don't really care where you stand (or fall) or 2) you're so immersed in living according to the world that you can't help but put "not too serious" in following your convictions.

That being said, I am totally serious about God's faithfulness towards me because I see my own hypocrisy in the above paragraph! I love the Lord without a doubt but I also love my sin just as much at times and am called ONLY to trust in a Savior who gives to me not only my measure of faith, but my strength to run from the carnal desires of my heart. My sin is powerful inside of me so all I can say to others is that God's grace is greater and it is conforming me into the image of God's own Son. My only hope even being saved are the continued and renewed mercies of the Lord every morning.

I wrote that to a girl I met and followed by saying:

If you're interested in me and the above leaves you disheartened then it should because I can promise that I will be a constant let down in and of myself. I don't want a woman who puts her faith in my ability to be a godly man. I want a woman who puts her faith in God to make me the godly man He desires. Likewise, I desire only to know God's grace powerfully so that I may be merciful and forgiving to not only myself but to my future wife as well. It's not a love that makes sense to the world because it's an active love towards those who have hatred against me in their hearts. As Jesus did for us, we are called to fight on behalf of those who are trying to tear us down. That can totally include the "significant other" in our lives. There can be no truly successful relationship without Jesus because unconditional love cannot be offered without knowing Jesus intimately.

No comments:

Post a Comment