Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How football taught me to take life's hits.

For some reason, football became an important means for me to relax on the weekend this past year. It also gave me a good reason to skip my singing class on Monday night! I think I became a real fan of the sport when I read the book "Quiet Strength" by Tony Dungy. He's the former coach of both the Buccaneers and the Colts and led the Colts to a Super Bowl win. I was considering the players and the way they pump their fists and point to God when they make a touchdown or do some sort of amazing athletic feat. I'd not seen a player point to the heavens when missing a touchdown pass. A faith that does not carry a person through difficult times when they fail according to worldly standards is a faith not worth having.

I watched my two favorite teams earlier this season play against one another. It was my childhood team, the Broncos and my hometown team, the Chargers. They were playing against one another for the second time this season and the Chargers crushed the Broncos. What impressed me most about the game was what happened after the final whistle. I believe Phillip Rivers (the Chargers QB) was giving an interview about the win when I saw a large group of players from both teams behind him. Other players were sprinting up to join the group and I was excited to see that they were all kneeling on the field together praying to God. I'd never seen that before.

I was even more astonished during the Super Bowl because I was given a rare treat. I was rooting for the Colts (which turned out to be a disappointment) but I got to see the character of Matt Stover after he missed a 51-yard field goal attempt for the Colts. As he was running off the field I saw him point his index fingers to heaven and give thanks to God just for the opportunity to kick the ball. The announcer mentioned Stover's faith and how he was a man who was willing to give thanks in good and bad times.

This was actually part of a months long process of the Spirit's work in my heart that came to fruition today. I had been praying that I would be a man who had a love for God even when my plans were not bearing fruit. After more than three months of trying to get into the Escondido PD and beating out almost 300 people to make it to the final eight applicants, I was finally dropped from consideration. I was disappointed but the Lord reminded me of His goodness first and that He is my perfect and good Provider. I gave thanks to God for the opportunity to make it as far as I did and, though I wasn't ecstatic, I was thankful to have Jesus pouring out His kind comfort into my heart.

My greatest joy now is knowing that God has the power to change my heart. My only comfort comes in the relationship I have with His perfect Son and the knowledge that Jesus covers me in the shelter of His wing. For a true blessing, read Psalm 27 and ask if you too want the one thing David asked of God in His times of distress.

One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek...

No comments:

Post a Comment