Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How shall we boast?

As I've continued to consider the issue of elders and the authority they are given I thought about Paul and the sort of authority he took. After all, being a follower of Christ (with the mind of Christ), what he teaches in the scriptures comes from the Spirit of Christ. What I found gave me a rare insight into Paul's character: He was not above using LOTS of sarcasm to convey deep truths. Read 2 Corinthians 11:16-21 and tell me if you agree.

I repeat: Let no one take me for a fool. But if you do, then receive me just as you would a fool, so that I may do a little boasting. In this self-confident boasting I am not talking as the Lord would, but as a fool. Since many are boasting in the way the world does, I too will boast. You gladly put up with fools since you are so wise! In fact, you even put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or pushes himself forward or slaps you in the face. To my shame I admit that we were too weak for that!

Paul is talking as a fool when he likens himself at the end to one who is "too weak" to have taken advantage of the believers of Corinth. He could have easily done so but, having the mind of Christ, it was not his desire to force action from people when their hearts would not be in it. Christ wants a heart that willingly serves him. Actions are a byproduct of a changed heart. Paul could not be a fool and ask for the actions without the heart change and still be Christ's ambassador! Be wise and go with the spirit of what Paul is saying: In your wisdom, do not "put up" with fools.

No comments:

Post a Comment